Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What a week so far....

There is so much happening right now on the work front. First, as most of you know, I am a Government Contractor. What this means is every 3-5 years (depending on the contract) the contract hits the streets for re-bid. That is where my contract is at this point. It's very frustrating because you never really feel secure...I could be working for the same company and nothing will change, or if a new company wins the contract, I could work for them and nothing will change as far as my location of work or what I'm doing (of course it means all my benefits will change and all you can do is hope the new company has a half-way decent benefit/retirement program), or I could be out of a job all together. Losing my job is really unlikely but it could happen.

Monday I received a call from a guy I used to work with and he is trying hire me with the company he now works for. Couldn't come at a better time, right? The problem with that is I'm not really sure I want to work for that company (I heard rumors that it doesn't have the greatest reputation). I am going to keep my options open and meet with the person I would be working for but I'm still not 100% sure. He actually called me Monday night to tell me what he is looking for. As far as the job goes it would be a huge step for me in the since of responsibility and I would definitely learn a lot. I would also be supporting another guy that used to work at the command I am currently at. So I already know people who work there. (contracting world is a very small world) I should be proud, it seems I have a good reputation out there on the streets.

Last but not least, I am still trying to get hired on as a Civil Service employee. I found out Tuesday, the position I want, is definitely available. The question is, are they going to "open" the position or just move someone already here into it. I've got some "higher ups, if you will" who are supporting me, but I have to be careful with my approach. So.....the saga continues....I will keep you informed. Keep your fingers crossed. This is what I REALLY want to happen.

With all the stress of the job, I am proud to say, I am still a non-smoker!!!!!!!!!! YEA!!!! It's been 9 days. I did have a set back this past weekend but, I still think I'm handling it pretty good. After this week though, I have been SO attempted to pick one up, but I haven't.

Mike has been dealing with some personal issues as well and of course I am trying to support him. It's hard when he's there & I'm here but we seem to be getting the information he needs together. Thank God for the internet and email. It will take some time to get straightened out. I do worry about him....he has enough stress on his plate, it just sucks he has to deal with this as well.

He is still at FOB Sykes and is not sure when he will be going back to FOB Speicher. I think he is torn as to where he wants to be. As far as FOB's go, he likes Speicher better, but he has enjoyed being with the guy he went through training with, Pat. So we'll see what happens.

I am at work (shhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone!!!!) but I did want to post especially since I didn't last night.

I hope your having a great day, Mike! I love you!!!

No comments: